Monday, October 14, 2013

October 7, 2013

Conference was great wasn’t it?! We were so excited all week. Sister Carrigan kept saying, "Conference is like Christmas for missionaries" and so when the alarm went off Saturday morning I said 'Merry Christmas', it was a great start to our conference weekend :) Followed by a ridiculous breakfast before conference.

We had some members take us out to breakfast which was delicious! But while we were there he was teaching his kids this deep doctrine (that may or may not be true) in a not so quite voice in the restaurant. Sister Carrigan did a good job at trying to segue it into the Gospel of Christ and make it an uplifting conversation, but he took it and went even deeper. It was an interesting morning. But it was good and we got breakfast which is fun. Breakfast is one of those things you dont get very often as missionaries ( I mean having people feed you breakfast isnt common, we do eat every day! ) So that was fun. It also involved the wife saying: "Even Christ knew when people didn’t want to listen to Him" as a way to get him to stop, but it didn’t work. SO that was fun!

We got to watch one session at a members house with our investigator Ashley who is getting baptized in the next few weeks. It was a little distracting to be there, not because of the 5 children under the age of 10 running around and making noise, because thats just happy noise. I love being around kids. But they also had a baby that was being passed around who was adorable and who we couldnt hold :( But what was even more distracting was watching the two couples we were watching with interact. It was uplifting to see how much they loved each other and cared for each other, but it was distracting because thats what I want to have someday too! And thats what we teach! We teach about happy families and how we can be sealed in the Temple for time and all eternity, we teach how to prepare for that and we help others further their relationships with Christ. Which are all good things and things that I am still preparing for, but in a different way now as a missionary. So it is distracting to see what I want right in my face so bluntly, but It is also uplifting to be there with them. Its really weird to be honest, and I dont know if I did a good job of explaining that. But yeah....

We were able to watch the other sessions being broadcast at the church which was better than I thought it would be. I dont think we've ever gone to the church to watch a session, and Im not saying that I am going to after my mission because lets face it, I hate skirts. But it was nice to be there. There were one or two couples there watching and a few less actives that decided to come. Im not sure how they knew it was then, but they were there and told us how he hadnt been active for a few years. So that was cool. Then the rest of the people who were there were other missionaries. We have a bunch of missionaries who attend church in our building who we get to spend P days with and who were there with us. There are two sets of Spanish speaking elders, then two sets of English speaking elders and another set of sisters who all attend our building. One of the Spanish sets dont come but other than that the rest of us get to see each other for a chunk of time every week.

We all just got back from lunch at Wendy's. And we were supposed to have Zone Unity day but it started raining so they all chickened out of playing soccer in the rain. The Zone Leaders said it was because it was less fun for the sisters to play in the rain. I would have done it, but it would have taken more time to get ready and looking presentable by 6 so we could go out and proselyte. But thats okay, it was pouring down rain. So we shall try for next week and just play basket ball this week I guess.

Playing basket ball as a missionary is way less fun. Sisters have to guard sisters and elders have to guard elders, but S. Carrigan doesnt enjoy sports so there are 3 sisters on the court at a time. 2 on 1 is fun for a while, but then it gets boring and I then get to pretend to block the elders or head towards them and it scares them and they pass the ball right quick. Its fun, and Im terrible. But thats me :)

Im glad you found that out about the stove! I am also grateful that in the 8 years of it being in there that nothing happened! Man, does Heavenly Father love us or what?! Yeah, He's pretty great!

So we have some fun members in our ward. This week I met a sister and we always ask people how they found/joined the church. So Sister Kitty told us about how she was reading the Bible and started finding truths that her church was teaching wrong. She went to the minister/pastor and talked with him and was told dont ask those questions and no thats not right. The biggest principle was that the Bible says we are made in the image of God, we are made like He is. So she asked if God had a body and was told no stop asking questions. Well she is more stubborn than I and she was the childrens Sunday school teacher. So she started teaching the kids about how God has a body, just like we have a body. And other doctrine like that that she found in the Bible.
Well the missionaries knocked on her door one day and she was excited because, she could teach them a thing or two about God, because shes read the Bible, and Sister Kitty knows. Well she found out quickly that the missionaries agreed with the things that she had found to be true, which excited her! She thought 'Im gonna get me some missionaries and send them all over the world to teach the truth! And look, I've already got two!'
Well as she continued to meet with them, she figured out that it wasnt just the two of them but it was the whole church who believed the same as she did. When she heard of Joseph Smiths first vision of God the Father and Jesus Christ in which he was called to restore the truth to the world, she was so mad! Because "Joseph Smith stole my thunder!"  I love sister Kitty! She is awesome!

THANK YOU! For the packages! I got both of them and I think it was just in time for some of that warm stuff. The only thing I would ask you to send is my brown, warm wool coat. I do need that in order to survive the winter out here! I think I left it in the closet in the boys room. Thank you for the scarf and for the tights! I love them! I wore the scarf to Saturday conference with my black skirt and a white shirt and everyone loved it, so good pick girls! And thanks for fixing my necklace aunt Patty! 


Other than that its been a really uplifting week. I have learned more about how to rely on the spirit and how to communicate with my Heavenly Father. I have realized how many different ways I get answers to my questions and how to ask my questions in a different way to get an answer to my questions. I am learning how to invite the spirit to be in my life on a more consistent basis. Which I am loving. Its a lot easier than I thought in some ways, and way harder in others. A mission is such an awesome experience, and I know that this is exactly where I need to be at this time. I am learning a lot, about who I am, who I want to be, how to change to be the person that I want to be. I am grateful for this time that I have to be able to learn how to live closer to the spirit and the Lord. I know that I am a completely different person now than I was when I came out, and I am excited to see what all I will learn before I go home.

I love you all! Thank you for everything :) Keep doing what your doing, but try a little harder to be a little better.


Love, Sister Kindra Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment