Monday, June 10, 2013

June 10, 2013

We had a few adventures this week!
It has been raining quite a bit so to start off the week we went and got me a pair of rain boots. Good thing too because it just keeps coming, and on the dirt roads... it’s just mud. But the boots are pink Leopard print :) Yeah know, it’s what I do.
But one day we were driving down this really bad dirt road, Salt Springs. The sisters went down it in the winter and swear they only made it through alive because they stopped and prayed so much. It was all ice and water and soft ground and a cliff. But its summer now right? So no ice so it’s safe right? Right! So we went for it. And  we were going along fine and Sis Honomichl is driving and we come to a great big mass of water. I would say puddle but we have no idea how deep it is because its murky. I figure, since its on a path its not that deep right? right so I tell her just drive through it, don’t hit your breaks though because if its muddy enough we can get stuck and we would literally have to walk miles before we could get reception to get someone to help us out. So she gets scared and tells me 'go poke it with a stick!' and I’m like what? no. So she gets out and decides that she is going to poke this water with a stick to see how deep it is. So she literally gets out of the truck and pokes the water with a stick. Well your arms are only so long so that really tells you nothing about how deep it is, so she throws rocks in it to try and figure it out. The whole time Im like its fine! its not that deep just drive through it!
So I finally convince her were okay and she drives through it and its super shallow. And she laughs, but then we run into another one and she gets out again to check it. So funny! We were fine both times but she was not going to be convinced! She thought we were going to ruin the mission truck.

So one of our investigators, well call him Keith. Cause that’s his name....
We went to find his house and set up an appointment, which he did. But as we are leaving he yells 'yeah, when you come back we can talk about my Temple. Cause I have my own Temple!' So we are so excited to talk to this exuberant man.
We go back to teach him and he is working on his car in his garage and has chairs set up for us to talk to him. So he invites us in and we start talking to him about the Lord. He then proceeds to tell us that: "I'm like Moses. I am preaching the good word to every body but no one likes me because they don’t want to listen. I spend 17 hours a day, a DAY on Facebook preaching the Bible to everyone.  I’m going to be beheaded for Christ. Because that’s what the Bible says, that those who believe in Christ will be beheaded for their belief. I knew when I was young that I was going to die for Christ. I  KNOW that I am going to die for that Man! Cause Christ is the man!" and on and on. It was very interesting to talk to him.
Sister Young taught him about the Book of Mormon and how it is all about Christ. He took one, told us he was a slow reader so he needed a week to read it and asked when we were going to come back to talk about it. So we are excited to talk to Keith and see what he thinks of the Book of Mormon. He says "There's something off about this book, I'm gonna find it!" So we shall see what he thinks.
We also talk to a woman who was baptized into the LDS church but she was never confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. She told us that she questioned the divinity of Christ. She grew up Jewish, was baptized Episcopalian and went to Catholic school. So she has a lot of information thrown at her! That was a new reason to not believe in the church for me to hear.
And OH MY GOODNESS! The coolest thing happened this Sunday. So we were told that the Keys of the Kingdom were coming to talk to the Scranton stake, but we didn’t know who and we didn’t know why. So we went to the meeting prepared to hear anything an Apostle of the Lord thinks we need to hear. And guess who it was!!!! It was Elder Bednar from the 12 Apostles :) So cool! He talked about where the name of the church came from, not the Jesus Christ part but the Latter Day Saints part.
He told the member to STOP praying for the missionaries to find people. The saints need to find people! He said, "I wish someone would get up and give this prayer in Sacrament meeting, instead of praying for the people who aren’t here I wish someone would pray ' We know the people who aren't here and Heavenly Father we are not going to have another meeting to plan how to get them to come back, or how to measure statistics. We are going to go and get them and bring them here. And I know that Bishop is probably sweating listening right now, but if he disagrees he will stop me and ask me to sit down, and if not well I guess he agrees" Basically telling members that we need to step it up.
He said the call to raise the age change was not to the missionaries. We have been doing that for years in other countries! That’s not new. This is a call to the church to step up.
He promised us that if we would rise to the challenge then the light would shine through us, through our countenance, family, branches, wards, stake! That we will be a light unto the nations.
It was a very powerful talk. I love Elder Bednar. He also talked about how once we are baptized we now have representative agency. 'Agency is not having the right to make choices, Representative agency is about having the ability to chose the right'.  Very powerful and insightful. 
I love you all! The church is true! I love this gospel. I am learning more now than I ever have in my life. I know that this gospel and the knowledge I have gained from it are what have made me into the person I am today. I am so grateful for its presence in my life. I know it, I live it, I love it!

Love you all! Thank you for your letters! Love, Sister Wilson


No comments:

Post a Comment