Thursday, February 21, 2013

Why am I going on a mission?

Why am I going on a mission? That's a question I get asked a lot and I'm still not really sure that I know the answer. One thing that I think about a lot is the fact that 'its not just about the here and now, It's about eternity'. You hear all the cheesy quotes about how a missionary leaves there family for 18 months or 2 years so that others can be with their families for eternity and what not and while they are super cheesy, they are completely true. 
The way I see it I am not 'giving up' a year and  a half of my life, I am given the ability to serve the Lord and focus on nothing but that for the next year and a half. I get to be the person who teaches others, wherever I am sent, the good news of the gospel. I get the chance to bring them the fullness of the gospel and to share that with someone's mother, father, sister, aunt, friend, spouse, etc. I get the chance to teach someone else's loved one about the gospel like other missionaries have done for people I love. Why would I not take the opportunity to share with whoever will listen, what bring so much joy and fulfillment in my life? 
I have friends and family who ask me why I go to church. All I can say is it brings me happiness, peace, joy, comfort so many things because I have the gospel. It's not about getting up every week and going to church, it's not about thinking I am better than someone else because I go, its not about the do's and don't's. That is not what the gospel is. I dont go to church because I love church, I go to church because I love the gospel, and church is where I learn more about it.
I go to church because it's filled with people that I love and I learn from, I go to church because I believe in this gospel. I go to church because I believe being surrounded by people who I love who believe in the same things that I do will make me a stronger person. There are so many reasons why I go to church at all.But when it comes down to it, it's not about going to church at all, its about the gospel.
I love the gospel, with all of my heart, might, mind and soul. That is what it is all about, a passion for something that brings so much good into my life. 

This is a video that I have seen a few times that I love, I cry every time (because yes I am a cry baby believe it or not). But I love it because I agree with him. One of the aspects of the gospel I love is the fact that we get to have our families with us for eternity, and what better way to spend eternity than with your family? I love this boy's positive attitude and the fact that he is still finding joy in life because 'It's not just about the here and now, its about eternity'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYRb4DNf8wc


No comments:

Post a Comment